Sunday, April 25, 2010

Everything I know about interpersonal skills I learned from Kai Lan

Today I would like to take a couple minutes to vent about my frustrations in trying to teach some basic manners to today's youth. Namely Rowan.

I've spent much valuable time (some of it in time-out) reflecting on the value of sharing. My mom talks a lot about it. Ni Hao: Kai Lan (basically the Chinese version of Dora) spends a lot of time preaching about it, too.

Unfortunately, Rowan seems largely unfamiliar with the concept.

This morning, over a jam session with the Tinkerbell guitar, I tried to school her in the ways of playing nicely with others by taking turns.



She didn't seem open to that sort of thing, so I compromised by suggesting that we both play together. Another practice Kai Lan strongly encourages.



When I encountered resistance yet again, I remembered that episode of Kai Lan in which she told us that we must use our words (not our hands) to let other people know how we are feeling.

Unfortunately, my approach of patience and peace was futile. Unphased by my struggles, Rowan took advantage of my declaration of defeat to strum the strings and sing a song.



I am optimistic that Kai Lan will address the issue of bothersome little sisters in the near future.

No comments: