While my mom braced for the worst when I went to school for the first time more than two years ago, my only concern was exactly how long she planned to linger before leaving me to play with my new friends.
And at the beginning of this school year, when some of my colleagues cried in the mornings at drop off, I never really noticed because I was too busy begging my mom to get a job so I could stay at school all day.
Which is why everyone was a bit perplexed when about a month ago I started a hard-core campaign to drop out of preschool. My mornings were spent describing exactly how much I didn't want to go school, and at drop off, kids three classrooms away seemed to nervously shift in their seats at the sound of my screams.
After spending some time establishing that there was nothing (and nobody) specific at the root of my sudden disdain for structured learning, my mom did what she does best:
She made a chart.
And instead of dangling a carrot, she decided to dangle carrot cake.
My reward for five days of bliss-filled drop-offs at school would be a trip to my favorite bakery to pick out any delicious treat I want.
For my first week, it was a Hello Kitty cookie!
My mom enjoyed hearing me describe exactly how excited I was to go to school every day (just so there was no confusion about whether or not I earned my sticker for the morning), and Rowan enjoyed reaping the benefits of all my hard work.

No comments:
Post a Comment