Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hi, chair

Life as a newborn, from a culinary standpoint, at least, is rather bland. Every day the menu is exactly the same. Until one day, about four months after your arrival, at which time they start to serve up something similar to what cardboard would taste like if you soaked it in water and warmed it up a bit in the microwave. The trade off is that you get to eat this repellent concoction in the comfort of a high chair. Sophisticated seating with a cushy seat and a spacious tray.


Unless you happen to have a big sister at home. Then you enjoy it wherever you can get it.


Which is why poor Rowan has had to endure the rice cereal without the prestige that goes along with sitting in a high chair. Since we tend to eat most meals together, I always get dibs on the high chair and Rowan has to sit in her foamy chair on the counter.

Sure, it's not ideal. But Rowan hasn't said a single word about it. She's a trooper!

Just last week, though, after 2 months of foamy chair dining, Rowan finally got her first seat in the Peg Perego. She said it's like getting the keys to a Ferrari when you've been driving a Vespa your whole life. I told her not to get too comfortable.


Here I am back in May 2007, sitting in my high chair for the very first time. I'm clearly smiling because I haven't yet had my first heaping spoonful of rice cereal. Yep, this is more like how I remember the experience:




Rowan tries to lounge in the foamy chair. It's about as easy as it looks.



Rowan enjoys the finer things in life.

Me (July 2007)

No comments: