Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tight quarters

Lately, my nights have been plagued by leaky diapers. Not sure if any of you deal with the frustration of waking up in the middle of the night to find that your big-girl pull-up has failed you, but no matter how many brands we try, and no matter the size, I seem to be enjoying fresh linens between 2 am and 5 am at least twice a week.

The timing makes this only a minor inconvenience to my mom. And the fact that it takes a bit of slick maneuvering to make a twin sheet fit on a toddler bed is only a minor inconvenience to my mom. (Nobody makes high-fashion bedding like mine for toddler beds, sadly.)

The only thing that makes this bi-weekly exercise a MAJOR inconvenience to my mom is the fact that it requires removing and then replacing an entire community of friends and books.

To those of you who've been reading this blog for a while, you'll remember the time that my dad was allowed to go to the Disney Store unsupervised. You know, that time he thought that buying every member of the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and then placing them all in my crib was a stroke of pure brilliance.

April 2009

Well, in the last 14 months, I've managed to finagle Big Mickey, Little Mickey, Baby Elmo, Nordstrom Elmo, Big Elmo, Red Mickey and two Pink Minnies into the bed. Right around the time my parents discovered that there was very little room left for me, they declared a moratorium on new friends.

Occassionally, my mom asks if perhaps one friend might be willing to forfeit his/her spot in exchange for a place of prominence on the floor right next to the bed. But I've asked around and any one of my friends would be completely devastated to be displaced.

Then came the obsession with reading.

Since my books keep me occupied during those times when I should be sleeping but am not (e.g., the days I wake up at 6 a.m., the days I forgo nap), Mom and Dad have allowed me to bring books into my bed.

The only problem is that now I refuse to sleep without certain books in my bed, too.

Luckily the assortment of books I need in order to sleep is changing constantly, as many of them are from the library. So my parents are quite confident that soon they'll be able to make juuuuuust enough room to squeeze a 3-foot kid into this bed.

Somewhere.

No comments: