Friday, January 28, 2011

Transfer student

Prior to our trip to Colorado earlier this month, there was much buzz around the house about ski school. While we had to work the system last year to get me admitted, this year I would finally be of appropriate age and potty-trained status. I was stoked to ride the school bus (see "ski shuttle") and to go to ski school every day!

But my first two days of ski school, I opted out of the afternoon lesson. And on "race day," when all the parents came to see us race each other 50 feet in the name of glory, I was nowhere to be seen.

Turns out I was inside perfecting my coloring techniques.

My family -- a collection of ski and snowboard enthusiasts -- was concerned, to say the least. They wondered, Was it still too hard for me to make it through the day without a nap?

Did I just not like to ski?!

So two days before we went home my Dad and Poppy decided to take me out themselves, and we skied for four hours.

FOUR. HOURS.

And only one cocoa break!

And the next day we went farther up the mountain and skied for three more hours.

Despite concerns about my love of the sport, the fact of the matter was that I just recognized that with all the cocoa and play breaks those ski school kids take, I'd never make the 2024 Olympic Downhill Qualifiers.

Leashes: Turns out they're not just for dogs.
Good thing, too, because while my speed is remarkable,
my ability to stop is not.






No comments: